Rebecca's PenThe creative works of R.E.W.

About R.E.W

I am author, artist, history buff, wishing to share these three passions of mine with anyone who cares to read this blog. The main drive between these three deep interests of mine is imagination.

History isn't just people and events in a dusty book. Writing isn't just words in a tome. Art isn't just random images in a photograph, sketch or painting. I'll give you examples of what they really are.

Elise (a drawing by R. E. Williams)

Held- a song by Natalie Grant (scroll down to see my commentary about Elise under this song)

Two months is too little

They let him go

They had no sudden healing

To think that Providence

Would take a child from his mother

While she prays, is appalling.

Who told us we’d be rescued

What has changed and

Why should we be saved from Nightmares?

We’re asking why this happens to us

Who have died to live, it’s unfair

This is what it is to held

How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life

And you survive

This is what it is to be loved and to know

That the promise was that when everything fell

We’d be held

This hand is bitterness

We want to taste it and

Let the hatred numb our sorrows

The wise hand opens slowly

To lilies of the valley and tomorrow

This is what it means to be held

How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life

And you survive

This is what it is to be loved and to know

That the promise was that when everything fell

We’d be held

If hope is born of suffering

If this is only the beginning

Can we not wait, for one hour

Watching for our savior?

This is what it means to be held

How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life

And you survive

This is what it is to be loved and to know

That the promise was that when everything fell

We’d be Held

This song is especially meaningful, deeply poignant, and beautiful. The promise in it is so true, so true, and relevant to how the Lord holds us when days are black and tempestuous, when we find ourselves falling . . . it happens a lot, and it can be hard on the way down–we get bruised and battered on the way down and wonder “Why am I not getting saved from this?” But the amazing promise . . . that beautiful, beautiful promise that we sometimes forget, always rings true. We are held.

I speak this from where I stand–I’ve fallen and gotten lost in a pitch black valley of fear and sorrow and, I’ve watched people I love find themselves lost in that dark valley, but even in the midst of those seemingly impenetrable shadows there’s a light burning–a marvelous, overpowering light that scatters the darkness and shows the footpath that we are afraid we’ve lost somewhere far behind . . . truth is, sometimes it’s the Light that we’ve lost. But when His Light is found again . . . it is like seeing the dawn after the long night . . . the brilliant, blazing sun that rises over the murky horizon. A glorious sight. An unforgettable revelation.

I wanted to share something–a story about a girl named Elise Renee. My niece. She is a person of vitality and impact, with fervor for life and who has brought hope with her, who has touched so many people even though she is only seven months in the womb.

This is Elise–so young, but before even entering this world she has brought inspiration to a myriad of folks. My sister Katie is the proud mother of this darling girl. Katie . . . so admirable and courageous . . . a woman of truth and beauty, who I am so delighted to call my sister–she carries Elise with conviction and bravery, even though the doctors have told her that Elise will not survive after birth. But Katie and her wonderful, loving and beautifully supportive husband Jesse will carry on, they will carry on with Elise to that time when they must let God take her to His Home in His Arms.

Elise-“Consecrated to God”

Renee- “Born Again”

And indeed, Katie and Jesse consecrate their daughter to the Lord, no matter how much it may hurt, no matter how much they want their daughter–their story is the genuine tale of courage in face of the wild storms of this life on earth, and even though they walk through the Valley of Shadows, they do not walk alone. Jesse and Katie exemplify deep faith in God–and he carries them through this in His strength, love, and all-powerful hands. Elise will be born again in God’s eternal kingdom–that is His spectacular, incredible promise for everyone, along with His promise to hold us in the most turbulent of times.

From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee

when my heart is overwhelmed.

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalm 61:2

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the most high dwells.

Psalm 46:1-4

Below the link will take you to Katie’s friend’s website at Honey a Plenty, where she relates Elise’s beautiful story.

This entry was posted in Art, Faith, Family, Hymns, Life, My Jesus, Random Musings, Thoughtful. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Held

1. Megan and Kayla says:

How beautifully told!
    It is wonderful to know she and all of us are held by God!
    So glad we were able to go to the shower while there! It was such a sweet (and teary) time:)
    M&K

2. Dad says:

I’m glad you have thought this through and seem to have a resolution. I’m still finding my way. I have moved on from heartache over Katie and Jesse’s circumstance to grieving and missing Elise.

3. Mom says:

What a beautiful tribute to your niece and my grand-daughter. Elise is truly a blessing to us all. And Katie and Jesse are such a wonderful example of courage and love. Thank you, Rebecca for your heartfelt sentiments. And yes….we must find the “light” and hang on.

4. Christi says:

Becca! Your sister always tells me how gifted you are. She didn’t speak too highly. Such beautiful writing. I love your sweet, true words. I am thankful for your family

5. Abigail says:

Oh, my goodness. Rebecca, that is beautifully written and everyone who reads your post can tell it just flowed out of your heart. I definitely can tell that you spent much thought writing this and you put yourself into your writing, making it come alive. I am so honored to be the sister of an incredible writer and woman of God. This post is so inspiring.

6. Mrs. Tetsch says:

Becca, What beautiful thoughts during difficult times. You are a blessing to your entire family! May you all grow closer to one another while drawing close to the Savior. Look at how God’s gift of Elise has knit so many hearts together. That is our beautiful Lord.

7. Kent Robinson says:

A most beautiful and touching message from one very special sister to another. May God bless and keep you all and hold all of you tight through these times. God Bless-Kent

8. Becca…I will always call you that, sorry, that is how I know you. You have used your gift..yes, dear, your gift, to bring healing to everyone who reads this. You have brought Glory to God in this post and His sovereignty. You have honored your family with your words.
    I so look forward to all that God has for you in your future and how He will use your writing ability for His glory.

I continue my prayers for Katie, Jesse and the whole family.

9. Amie Giacumakis says:

Becca you are precious!!!
    Your poem exposes your sweet heart. You are an amazing artist and poet. What agift you gave your sister and her husband. Keep shinning your bright light upon this world Becca!!!

10. Lauren Wasson says:

I Love this soooooooo much! Not only is it great writting it is a beautiful story! God does have a plan for her life:)

11. Shelley Logan says:

Becca, this is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us! I love your sketch, your thoughts, your words…and you!!

12. Lesa Bledsoe says:

Rebecca, your precious writing will bring healing and peace to many. Thank you for using your gift. May God be with all of your family as He holds you all in His hand.

13. G'ma Katie Hoover says:

Thank you, ReBecca, for your wonderful words. I appreciate the words for the song “Held”, and your verses from Psalms. Those verses are strong, comforting words. His ways are higher and His thoughts wiser. We are called His children, and that we are–children in our understanding. In matters of this nature we are dependent on HIs character–which is always good and loving. We trust Him when we don’t understand and we praise Him–for He always does what is best (which we often see later as we look back). Your blog is a marvelous tribute to Elise, Katie and Jesse–and to your great God. I am always deeply moved by your words.You are a thinker. May you always draw from the fountain of Living Water. Bless you, dear one, and thank you for sharing your heart. I love you.

14. Aunt Robin says:

Becca-Roo – I love the drawing of little Elise Renee – it is wonderful to have a face to imagine when praying & thinking about this precious baby. I am still praying for a miracle, of course – & definitely believe that God can heal this little sweetheart – but I also know that Katie & Jesse & all the family will be greatly strengthened & brought closer together by whatever the outcome. I believe that Katie & Jesse’s experience will touch many people & bring others closer to God. To quote the lyrics from another song – “life is hard, but God is good”. Keep up your beautiful, inspirational writing & drawing – you will also touch many people & bring them closer to God. Love you & all your family! – Aunt Robin

15. Debbie says:

This is so beautiful. Your love and trust of your savior rings in every word… Eternity is a very long time. And that’s how long you have to know Elise!

Blessings, Debbie

16. sue says:

praying for your family!
    Hugs,
    Sue

17. Tony Lawrence says:

Thoughtful, intentional and perfectly penned. I love your family and have been immensely encouraged-and challenged-by this heartbreaking situation. Grace and peace to all of you. We are indeed held.

18. Thank you everyone for these encouraging, sweet comments. Katie and Jesse and my family so appreciate all your support and prayers and encouragement in these rough times. Love and blessings to all of you, and thank you again

19. Mrs. LeRoy says:

Dearest Rebecca, I can hear your voice while reading this beautiful tribute to the Lord’s sovereignty in this difficult time. Your family is in my prayers. Katie and Jesse are blessed to have you as their advocate and champion to rally the Christian community. We lift them up with you as we trust Him and seek His peace for you all. I love and miss you very much.